Saturday, March 19, 2011

Adding steering wheel radio controls to base model.



Is it possible? Is there any wiring in place under the plastic cover. I don't really miss anything in the base model that the upscale models have except this. Reaching over to the dash to change volume is a PITA and I've knocked the car into neutral twice when trying to mess with the radio. BTW my previous was a 2002 Sienna with a real "on the tree" auto gearshift, whoever decided to move it to the dashboard so it is in the way of everything is an IDIOT.

Reply 1 : Adding steering wheel radio controls to base model.



If it's the same deck as the other non-navi stereos (like the one in mine), I don't see why not. If you're good with electronics, especially with a diagram, then it's definitely possible to have steering wheel controls. I think I've seen a site before where they sold buttons to stick with a double-sided tape behind your steering wheels and run the wires down the column to do whatever you wanted the buttons to do.



My old car (Eclipse) had 3 factory buttons on each side for stereo functions, which I can't remember at the moment. I had it done to double as "paddle shifters" at the flick of a switch. This extra feature wasn't factory, of course, but an electrical engineer in the 4G Eclipse forums made a module that read the shiftronic shifts and made the factory behind-the-steering-wheel buttons as paddle shifters.

No comments:

Post a Comment