Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Bad coil...?



Hi..I'm new to the forum, but an owner of one of the Greatest trucks ever built.!! I have a question. Any help would be greatly appreciated....I have a 93 Hilux V6 3.0. It has a terrible miss at idle and I've noticed it's taking longer to start. I've replaced the spark plugs and wires, rotor and distributor cap. I've checked all vaccuum lines also...Could a weak or bad coil cause this?? I bought the plug wires at Napa, and they arced right out of the box. Specifically the coil to dist wire, and the No. 2 and 6 wires. I took the wires back and they gave me a new set...DID THE SAME THING...the guy at Napa insists it's not the wires, but will replace them with another set. He insists it's a weak coil...Any info????

Reply 1 : Bad coil...?



If they are clearly arcing right out of the box take them back and get a quality set from NGK or something. The first place to start is getting Good replacement parts.



With that half of the problem fixed though I am guessing your problem will still be there being as it was happening before you replaced all those things. And yes a weak coil can cause a miss, although its more common for them to fail entirely and cause a stall. Do a power balance test by pulling one spark plug wire off at a time. Whichever cylinder does not cause the engine to stumble more or die is your culprit. Narrow it down from there.

Reply 2 : Bad coil...?



Thanks jetrinka..just for an update, I bought a new coil today. I figured even if it wasn't the coil it wouldn't hurt to have a new one since I plan on keeping the truck for awhile. It seems to have solved the problem. The miss is gone and back to running smoothly. Thanks for the info on checking the plugs.

Reply 3 : Bad coil...?



Glad you got it figured out!

No comments:

Post a Comment