Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Help Me Identify this Oil leak(s)



I know the front valve cover gasket is leak and cam seal cap, but I think the crank seal is leaking. Also there was an oil drip on the tensioner. The is oil on the pan #1 seal, but I think that is from the crank seal leak, there is also oil on the a/c compressor and front of the oil pan, but thats looks like a combination of the front cam, valve cover gasket(2 years old) and crank seal leak.

What do you guys think?


























Reply 1 : Help Me Identify this Oil leak(s)




Quote:








Originally Posted by pmesfun
View Post

I know the front valve cover gasket is leak and cam seal cap, but I think the crank seal is leaking. Also there was an oil drip on the tensioner. The is oil on the pan #1 seal, but I think that is from the crank seal leak, there is also oil on the a/c compressor and front of the oil pan, but thats looks like a combination of the front cam, valve cover gasket(2 years old) and crank seal leak.

What do you guys think?






























If you're concerned that they're leaking, replace them all for your piece of mind

Reply 2 : Help Me Identify this Oil leak(s)



Well the sad thing is I replaced both cam seals and crank seal, valve cover gaskets(reused front one it was 2 years old. All replaced in December

I guess I just suck and I'll have to do them again. FML

Reply 3 : Help Me Identify this Oil leak(s)



That kind of leak can be really hard to find. I have something similar, no idea if it's the oil pan, oil filter adapter, or rear main. I've done literally everything else that can leak, so I guess the only way is to do the oil pan and oil filter gasket and hope it's not the rear crank seal. I sure hope not, this '93 has already kicked my ass enough.

Reply 4 : Help Me Identify this Oil leak(s)



First I'm going to replace the front valve cover gasket and put FIPG on the cam seal cap, forgot to do that. I know that is leaking.



There is oil tricking down the tensioner, so that makes me think its the crank seal too. Installed incorrectly.



Once I do the front valve cover gasket, I will wash the engine and check for leaks.



btw I hate oil leaks, so nasty. ATF doesn't make a mess like this.

Reply 5 : Help Me Identify this Oil leak(s)



Why not start with a power wash of all affected areas, run for a day or so and then take another close look and pics? Oil migrates all over the place, that might give you a better idea of exactly where its coming from and save you some maint. time. Just a thought, I'm guessing you have at least a week of leaking and moving/migrating around there. I trying to figure out where a leak from the other end of the engine is coming from myself. Looks like it come from just under the distributor, 1-2 drops daily after a days running.

Reply 6 : Help Me Identify this Oil leak(s)



Yup, I washed the engine twice, and the leaks appear in the same spot.

So, I'm ordering a front valve cover gasket and will replace that next week. I'm sure the crank seal is leaking too, but I want to be sure. Cringe at the fact the tb has to come off again.

Reply 7 : Help Me Identify this Oil leak(s)



Found the oil leaks at school. The front cam seal and crank seal is leaking.. I am replacing both cam seals, crank seal and the front valve cover gasket. The lip of the seal was damaged so it was pouring out oil onto the back of the timing cover. Thankfully the timing belt is dry and I am doing this at school.

Reply 8 : Help Me Identify this Oil leak(s)



dang... bad luck you have bro coming back to same things over and over. stick to OEM parts and follow installation instructions on everything to the letter...

Reply 9 : Help Me Identify this Oil leak(s)




Quote:








Originally Posted by fenixus
View Post

dang... bad luck you have bro coming back to same things over and over. stick to OEM parts and follow installation instructions on everything to the letter...



Yeah, I suck with installing seals. Idk how it could have leaked from the cam seal, but that has already passed.



Yeah, ordered the parts, need to pick them up. I'm going to have my teacher install the seals, just incase. He said I was supposed to grease the seals so I wouldn't have torn anything. Wheel bearing grease or assembly lube is whats used on them.



Should be working on it tuesday and probably with finish wednesday or thursday as we have 2 hours of class.

Reply 10 : Help Me Identify this Oil leak(s)



Do you attend an automotive school ?

Reply 11 : Help Me Identify this Oil leak(s)



No, its a just an elective class at my high school, but 2 periods long instead of 1.

Reply 12 : Help Me Identify this Oil leak(s)



oh, Cool

Reply 13 : Help Me Identify this Oil leak(s)



So, today we took of the hardware and parts to get the the tb. BUT GOD DAMN the Bank 2 Cam pulley was ungodly tight. The breaker bar was about to snap in half. Rear one was easy, spanner wrench against the firewall, and popped it loose with the breaker bar.



Turns out he crank seal wasn't leaking, just the bank 2 seal and a little bit from the bank 1 seal. The bank 2 seal was completely destroyed, mangled the lip when I installed it the first time. It was pouring oil from there so it looked like it was the crank seal. Replaced both cam seals today and putting everything back together tomorrow. Valve cover gasket isn't leaking, but I might as well replace since I got a new one. Also going to clean the maf sensor, put dielectric grease on the the front coils and clean suspected connections and adjust cables.

Reply 14 : Help Me Identify this Oil leak(s)



No more oil leaks. I'm starting to know the engine inside out. Doing timing belts is like cake now. Especially with air tools.

Checking for what is making the front end popping noise, and the condition of the ball joints and tie rods. Also replacing the front valve cover gasket tomorrow in the shop, just because I already bought it.

Only have a few things left to do on my car:
  • Find mount causing D->R clunk.

  • Control arm bushings, or whatever is causing the front end to make popping sounds.

  • Reboot ps axle, ps leak increased wear on the inner boot, but just stress marks right now.

  • Replace starter contacts

  • Drop the trans pan. Replace the filter and clean the pan.


No comments:

Post a Comment